Baker County Health Department
480 West Lowder Street
Macclenny Florida 32063
Dr. J. Frank Curtis was appointed the first Sanitary Agent in 1902.
In 1913, the State was divided into seven districts. Dr. Clarence H. Hobbs was in charge of the Central District, comprising of Hamilton, Suwanee, Columbia, Baker, Bradford, Alachua, and Levy counties. The headquarters for the district was in Gainesville, Florida.
In 1916, the State was divided into eight districts.
The Enabling Act, passed by the State Legislature in 1931, gave authority for the State Board of Health and Counties to establish local health departments. In 1939, Baker County appointed its first local health committee. A full-time health unit was organized in August 1940.
The office was one room, located on south College Street, one block off U.S. 90. The Baker-Nassau County Health Unit was organized in 1941. This growing unit moved to the old courthouse in July 1945, which is the current public library.
In October 1974, the health unit moved to the Third Street location, which presently houses the Baker County Commissioners. The Sixth Street location housed the Health Department from December 1985 until March 2001.
The present location includes a 20,000 square foot state of the art facility that will have a greater capacity to meet the diverse health, social, and educational needs of a growing community. This location offers the traditional public health services, as well as community wellness and outreach programs.